What to expect at a sports or school physical?
During a school or sports physical, a provider will perform a variety of exams and tests to make sure your child his healthy to participate in their chosen sport, whether football, basketball, soccer, baseball/softball, volleyball, cross country/track and field and more. The following may be performed during a sports and school physical:
- Height and Weight Measurements: A member of our staff will measure your child’s height and weight, in which a provider will review with you and your child. This allows you to understand how your child compares to other children his or her age and if the child has any growth concerns, such as being under or overweight.
- Blood Pressure and Oxygen Readings: A provider will check your child’s blood pressure, heart rate and rhythm, oxygen saturation and more to make sure they are all in the normal range.
- Review of Medical History: A provider will review your child’s immunization record and see if they are due for any vaccines. Additionally, he or she will ask questions about your child’s diet, medications and family history to learn more about your child’s health.
- Physical Exam: Your child’s nose, throat, ears, heart, lungs and abdominal area will be inspected to make sure everything appears normal. Any areas of concern will be noted, and recommendations made for what to do next.
- Review Body’s Physical Abilities: Your child’s strength, flexibility, posture and joints will be evaluated through a series of exercises to ensure your child is physically fit to participate in the required activities associated with the sport.
- Hearing & Vision Testing: A provider will test your child’s hearing and vision, which are necessary in overall growth and development, but very important in reducing sports-related injuries.
Based on your child’s physical abilities, medical history and current health, a provider may perform other tests or evaluations to make sure your child is as healthy as possible. The pediatricians at Hattiesburg Clinic work closely with other physicians in the Hattiesburg network, and your child will receive quick care to other services, like imaging if needed.