HEART & VASCULAR OFFERING FREE LEG SCREENINGS IN MARCH
Hattiesburg Clinic Heart & Vascular is offering patients and the general public free leg screenings in an effort to combat venous and peripheral artery disease.
The screening event will be held on Thursday, March 5, and Thursday, March 26, on the third floor of Hattiesburg Clinic. The 15-20-minute screenings will take place 1-5 p.m. both days. While they will not serve as a source of diagnosis, the screenings can indicate the need for consultation with a physician or further testing.
Registration is required in advance, as space is limited.Please call 601-268-5800 to register.
WHO COULD BENEFIT FROM A LEG SCREENING?
Individuals suffering from the following conditions could benefit from a leg screening:
- Varicose veins
- Leg or ankle swelling
- Pain in the muscle of the legs often described as cramping, tightness or burning
- Pain with walking that is relieved with rest
- Numbness/discoloration of the legs
- Sores or wounds on the legs that heal poorly
WHAT TO EXPECT
- Participants will check in and complete a questionnaire regarding signs/symptoms and any treatment history.
- A leg exam to check for any obvious abnormalities, such as varicose veins, swelling, discoloration, ulcers, etc., will be performed along with an ankle-brachial index (ABI) to screen for peripheral artery disease.
- If abnormalities are noted or ABI indicates, participants will have the options to schedule for a follow-up appointment and/or studies to further evaluate signs/symptoms.
A health professional will also be available to provide education on compression stockings. The patient will have the option to purchase these, if they would like, and can be fitted for them onsite.
A common condition that a screening could help reveal is peripheral artery disease. P.A.D. is caused by plaque buildup in the arteries that supply blood to the legs. P.A.D. is the hardening of the arteries – also known as atherosclerosis – in the legs.
To register for a screening, call (601) 268-5800.
ABOUT HEART & VASCULAR
Heart & Vascular provides diagnostic and therapeutic services and surgical procedures for patients with related disorders. Heart & Vascular’s experienced team of specialists offers services at outreach locations throughout the Pine Belt.